Skip to main content

Where friendship ends and customer begins

Being a member of a church is funny. You are called to be parts of the body of Christ, working together with God at the head, all different and doing different parts, but all one body. It's a lovely illustration of being who you are unique yet part of a team, designed for a specific job that is made for you not somebody else. If you are an ear, you hear, but you wouldn't be doing a good job if you were a foot trying to do the job of an ear! Tonight my musings as I struggle to sleep are when does friendship stop and being a client/customer /consumer/sheep begin? Both my husband and I have known our relationship with our priest has been professional. At times it may have appeared to be friendship, actually my husband and our priest have quite similar interests and fairly similar wives! It has always been more business though, and none more so than the past year. That's fine. Not a criticism. The difficulty comes when 2 women are friends. It is not business like or professional, although they serve together, the basis of their friendship is not that they were colleagues. After a few years of friendship one becomes an employee. The friendship remains the same. I'm not really sure when the friendship ended and somebody was able to put boundaries in for who an employee has as a friend. How is that reasonable? In what other workplace would you be prevented from seeing a friend? Now I understand about rules preventing colleagues contacting those suspended, and managers contacting those who are sick. I have worked in places where, thankfully, my colleagues have become my friends, even managers in one place. If I were sick I would love non work related contact. When your friendship predated employment, and one of you isn't employed but is more than just a consumer (nobody in a church should be there just to receive a service) how can you say contact must stop? How can an employer really expect that to be acceptable? Are you not allowed to be friends with "customers"? The very notion implies a hierarchy and a sense of "them and us", and splits the body into essential and non essential parts. Yup, I'm an appendix. No problem whilst working well but an absolute pain when it gets sick and as it is not essential the body can do without it. It's removal is painful and leaves a scar, but the body can function fine with or without it. Anyway that's not really the point I've been trying to make. Making friends with clients in the secular workplace is often frowned upon. That is not what is happening here. The friendship predated even the creation of this job! Is this really a place for relationships to be broken down to that between a service provider and a customer? I expect most church members would not feel that way. So can you even draw a line? Is that fair to either party? Is it scriptural? Is it even moral? I don't know. There is a place for safeguarding. Of course there is but this is not a secular business. We serve each other as brothers and sisters but also sometimes as friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow a Poem.

Tomorrow is a new day, Full of new promises, When you rush through the day, Tomorrow is always there to say, Don't worry tomorrow it can be done, Tomorrow we can try again. Tomorrow's exciting promise, Every morning when you wake. A bit more time to finish today. More time to play They say Don't leave till tomorrow, Why you can do today. Sometimes tomorrow seems the same. Tomorrow is so different from today. No joy before you settle down, Tomorrow you'll still feel like you'll drown. What if tomorrow never came? What if today was the end. Would you regret the things you put off? Would you ponder if that phonecall, That text, that knock on the door, Shouldn't have been tomorrow's chore? Would you beg for another tomorrow? Would you mourn your yesterday. Today someone needs you. That phone call can't wait. A chat, a cuddle, a hand to hold, Responding may mean more than gold. So don't put it off, don't delay. Someone'

Mindfulness

Mindfulness is not new to me. When I was in 6th form and was suffering huge family upheaval (3 house moves in years, new baby, new step dad, new siblings, contact issues with birth father, mother with severe postnatal depression and step dad going (successfully) back to rehab) the school nurse was asked to help me with my anxiety levels. She talked me through what I later learned (10 years later) was a mindfulness body scan. I was reminded of this whenever I met an anxious mother and would talk them through this meditation. One day, whilst myself working as a school nurse I came across the nurse who taught me this technique. She didn't remember me, and was now working in mental health. A mother praised how I had helped her with relaxation techniques in a meeting we were both attending. I admitted after the meeting that it was this lady who had taught me when I was 17 and anxious. I revisited relaxation during my first pregnancy. Hideous hyperemesis     consumed me. My mood low a

Only you can save you

It was said kindly and it's true. Nobody can make me feel differently, except me. It lays heavy on my heart and has done all afternoon. I can't do it. I have tried. I have tried 'health visitor-ing' myself. I repeat scriptures over and over. I say to myself and my inner child that I am loved, lovable, precious and good enough. I have prayed for strength. I have prayed for peace. I've waited. I've tried my hardest to leave my pain, my shame, my failings at the foot of the cross. I listen to other Christians who repeat over and over I must trust God. That this will be OK, no brilliant, in the end. I say it over and over. Yet my heart is heavy. Not metaphorically either. It feels like a stone crushing my chest, restricting my breathing sometimes. It hurts. I know that none of you can pick me up and make this go away, even if you wanted to. Listening to me, holding me, it helps. It doesn't fix it though. I can't change my attitude towards myself. I do