Skip to main content

I don't know what to say

I know I will come in in an hour and say I am fine. You will either say that I'm not, write a prescription and send me away assuring me that I will be OK. One day.

Or you may believe me if I'm convincing. Or maybe today you will finally give up and accept defeat.

We both know that it's a dance we do every week, fortnight or month. I remain immensely grateful that you are kind and that you do fight for me.

I can't find the words though. Not really. Sometimes if you ask the right questions you might get an insight.

I don't know how to make the words come out. That I am totally out of control and can't stop myself and I'm terrified and terribly ashamed.

I don't know how to say that it has been incredibly difficult this morning not to neck all my pills and take myself off somewhere to sleep. That Susanna and I have talked how I am able to step away and make a choice, that I did yesterday and have, so far, done this morning. This is why I am so very ashamed. Sometimes I give in and asking for help seems so stupid because I don't want help as I want it over but I do want help because I desperately want someone to save me. Not keep me safe, just make all this go away. I don't want stopping from hurting myself, ending my life. I want somebody to pick me up and make all this go away so I don't feel I need to die.

But I can't say any of this. Not in ten minutes. Not without feeling I am attention seeking. Not without feeling I am wasting your time. Not without fearing what you will do. Not without fearing what this might mean for me. What diagnosis this means, what potential impact on my children, my husband, my career.

Even writing this fills me with such anxiety I can barely breathe. I cannot say this because it is so ridiculous. I am an educated, professional woman who has made a good life, out of difficulty, but managed for 30 years. Who has 2 lovely children and a wonderful husband but has lost the plot completely and thrown everything away. A woman who knows how psychology works. Who teaches mindfulness, who teaches the concept of self compassion and the good enough mother. Who for 15 years has managed stable, full filling relationships with no difficulties but is now so alone and feeling so rejected.

I just cannot accept this is me. This is my life. I don't want it. I don't understand it and I want it to stop.

But I can't say this. Because I'm scared and ashamed and my voice just won't work. And showing this to you feels just as ridiculous. Even more so. Like you said, a woman like me can be more than this. A woman like me. Yes I should be able to.

But what if they are right. What if I'm not that resilient, sensible, kind, compassionate woman I tricked even myself into believing, and this is me. This is it? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow a Poem.

Tomorrow is a new day, Full of new promises, When you rush through the day, Tomorrow is always there to say, Don't worry tomorrow it can be done, Tomorrow we can try again. Tomorrow's exciting promise, Every morning when you wake. A bit more time to finish today. More time to play They say Don't leave till tomorrow, Why you can do today. Sometimes tomorrow seems the same. Tomorrow is so different from today. No joy before you settle down, Tomorrow you'll still feel like you'll drown. What if tomorrow never came? What if today was the end. Would you regret the things you put off? Would you ponder if that phonecall, That text, that knock on the door, Shouldn't have been tomorrow's chore? Would you beg for another tomorrow? Would you mourn your yesterday. Today someone needs you. That phone call can't wait. A chat, a cuddle, a hand to hold, Responding may mean more than gold. So don't put it off, don't delay. Someone'

Mindfulness

Mindfulness is not new to me. When I was in 6th form and was suffering huge family upheaval (3 house moves in years, new baby, new step dad, new siblings, contact issues with birth father, mother with severe postnatal depression and step dad going (successfully) back to rehab) the school nurse was asked to help me with my anxiety levels. She talked me through what I later learned (10 years later) was a mindfulness body scan. I was reminded of this whenever I met an anxious mother and would talk them through this meditation. One day, whilst myself working as a school nurse I came across the nurse who taught me this technique. She didn't remember me, and was now working in mental health. A mother praised how I had helped her with relaxation techniques in a meeting we were both attending. I admitted after the meeting that it was this lady who had taught me when I was 17 and anxious. I revisited relaxation during my first pregnancy. Hideous hyperemesis     consumed me. My mood low a

Only you can save you

It was said kindly and it's true. Nobody can make me feel differently, except me. It lays heavy on my heart and has done all afternoon. I can't do it. I have tried. I have tried 'health visitor-ing' myself. I repeat scriptures over and over. I say to myself and my inner child that I am loved, lovable, precious and good enough. I have prayed for strength. I have prayed for peace. I've waited. I've tried my hardest to leave my pain, my shame, my failings at the foot of the cross. I listen to other Christians who repeat over and over I must trust God. That this will be OK, no brilliant, in the end. I say it over and over. Yet my heart is heavy. Not metaphorically either. It feels like a stone crushing my chest, restricting my breathing sometimes. It hurts. I know that none of you can pick me up and make this go away, even if you wanted to. Listening to me, holding me, it helps. It doesn't fix it though. I can't change my attitude towards myself. I do