Skip to main content

Mindfulness

Mindfulness is not new to me.

When I was in 6th form and was suffering huge family upheaval (3 house moves in years, new baby, new step dad, new siblings, contact issues with birth father, mother with severe postnatal depression and step dad going (successfully) back to rehab) the school nurse was asked to help me with my anxiety levels.

She talked me through what I later learned (10 years later) was a mindfulness body scan. I was reminded of this whenever I met an anxious mother and would talk them through this meditation. One day, whilst myself working as a school nurse I came across the nurse who taught me this technique. She didn't remember me, and was now working in mental health. A mother praised how I had helped her with relaxation techniques in a meeting we were both attending. I admitted after the meeting that it was this lady who had taught me when I was 17 and anxious.

I revisited relaxation during my first pregnancy. Hideous hyperemesis     consumed me. My mood low and exhausted I found a hypnotherapy CD. It reminded me of the school nurse. It didn't cure the sickness but it did make me feel more rested. And wanting lemons.

I made an attempt at hypnobirthing first time, made more effort and found it very effective second time. Then it was another 3 years before I knew the name of this wonderful new mental health cure all Mindfulness. In reality it was the meditation and hypnosis that I had regularly used throughout early adulthood.

So here I am again. I still practice mindfulness and have picked up more cbt techniques regarding thought diffusion to use along the way. I have struggled to find a podcast I liked so tended to do the body scan myself.

I downloaded a few apps to try again. One, smiling mind, is an Australian app, originally designed for use in schools. I have listened a bit to the adult ones, but last night, my son was upset and couldn't sleep. We tried the 7-9 years program (bubbles and sleep) and both of us listened and he fell calmly asleep as did I (for a short while).

He's asked to listen again. I'm looking forward to doing the compassion and empathy ones with him over the next few weeks.

Comments

  1. This is a very nice blog. Your uploaded photographs are pretty amazing. Keep Posting Thanks for sharing these sweet memories with us. Are you planning for the Wedding photography for your Princess or Prince in Delhi, New Delhi, NCR and Gurgaon? Everyone is looking to capture wedding moments. Click here to find out the best Wedding photography in New Delhi for your big day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow a Poem.

Tomorrow is a new day, Full of new promises, When you rush through the day, Tomorrow is always there to say, Don't worry tomorrow it can be done, Tomorrow we can try again. Tomorrow's exciting promise, Every morning when you wake. A bit more time to finish today. More time to play They say Don't leave till tomorrow, Why you can do today. Sometimes tomorrow seems the same. Tomorrow is so different from today. No joy before you settle down, Tomorrow you'll still feel like you'll drown. What if tomorrow never came? What if today was the end. Would you regret the things you put off? Would you ponder if that phonecall, That text, that knock on the door, Shouldn't have been tomorrow's chore? Would you beg for another tomorrow? Would you mourn your yesterday. Today someone needs you. That phone call can't wait. A chat, a cuddle, a hand to hold, Responding may mean more than gold. So don't put it off, don't delay. Someone'

Only you can save you

It was said kindly and it's true. Nobody can make me feel differently, except me. It lays heavy on my heart and has done all afternoon. I can't do it. I have tried. I have tried 'health visitor-ing' myself. I repeat scriptures over and over. I say to myself and my inner child that I am loved, lovable, precious and good enough. I have prayed for strength. I have prayed for peace. I've waited. I've tried my hardest to leave my pain, my shame, my failings at the foot of the cross. I listen to other Christians who repeat over and over I must trust God. That this will be OK, no brilliant, in the end. I say it over and over. Yet my heart is heavy. Not metaphorically either. It feels like a stone crushing my chest, restricting my breathing sometimes. It hurts. I know that none of you can pick me up and make this go away, even if you wanted to. Listening to me, holding me, it helps. It doesn't fix it though. I can't change my attitude towards myself. I do