Skip to main content

My mirror

I read and shared a post about automatic thoughts today. Learned responses, internal monologue that type of thing. Unconsciously you learn about yourself from others. Over time this builds into automatic self assessments. I have been exploring how when people pass minor but careless comments they can mirror and provide evidence for what you have been told before. I learned very early that I had to be good. If I was good people would like me, I would be safe. My mum would be safe. I was taught I was a mistake. Unplanned and an inconvenience. I learned that I owed my family for keeping me. I learned that I had to cope. Nobody around me could and I had to. So when I cannot help people I feel I have failed. I feel I cannot pay people back for loving me. I am in their debt because I shouldn't be here. If I am not seen as quiet, well mannered, clever and kind I panic. In my head this means the world may fall apart. If I am not good then I will be punished. As a Christian I know that I cannot be good, and I won't be punished. Jesus has that covered. Unfortunately my brain has been shaped by early experiences. I can't help having these beliefs. As a health professional I know how early attachments and experiences physically shape our brains. I cannot just not think like that. So, especially when I am already working hard to disprove these beliefs about myself. Talk to the child who believed she was unwanted, in debt and had to look after everyone and be perfect to make up for the way her existence had ruined so many lives, somebody says "No you can't do that. You have done something wrong." Or points out negative flaws in my character, I panic. I use it as supporting evidence that I am indeed a mistake, an inconvenience. So saying people are "loving me sacrificially" is unhelpful. It mirrors my belief that I am a problem. Problems are unwanted. Having me around is a chore. I owe you for being my friend. Taking away a role from me removes my caring behaviours. The belief that I have to fix things. I have to serve others. Otherwise I can't be loved. I can't pay people back for being my friend, employing me, loving me. Yes you probably don't mean to. Yes this probably makes me a total failure as a christian. That doesn't mean that my feelings are not real, or in my head. My feelings are very real and if you look at the child who came before this woman she needs to be told that she enriches lives just by being her. That she is very much enough and wanted. The woman can know God loves her, she can know that as a child she should never have had to bear the responsibility of saving and protecting others, that her worth is as a precious child of God. The child hasn't quite caught up yet. It takes a lot of love and consistency to teach a child. As a parent I know that. My little child needs to relearn. Bad habits are hard to break. Positive reinforcements are needed. The messages I've heard since being unwell are that I am difficult to love, a burden.i I've failed in my helping and serving roles as a mother, wife, friend, employee, nurse and christian. I am not safe because of this, I am on high alert, waiting for the punishment, waiting for the upset and danger. Thirty years of self preservation won't just disappear. A few pills and a good sleep aren't going to fix this. Everything I have ever learned and believed needs to be relearned, reinforced. This is why your throwaway comments. The times I am left out. The times you highlight my failure and how burdensome I am are hurtful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow a Poem.

Tomorrow is a new day, Full of new promises, When you rush through the day, Tomorrow is always there to say, Don't worry tomorrow it can be done, Tomorrow we can try again. Tomorrow's exciting promise, Every morning when you wake. A bit more time to finish today. More time to play They say Don't leave till tomorrow, Why you can do today. Sometimes tomorrow seems the same. Tomorrow is so different from today. No joy before you settle down, Tomorrow you'll still feel like you'll drown. What if tomorrow never came? What if today was the end. Would you regret the things you put off? Would you ponder if that phonecall, That text, that knock on the door, Shouldn't have been tomorrow's chore? Would you beg for another tomorrow? Would you mourn your yesterday. Today someone needs you. That phone call can't wait. A chat, a cuddle, a hand to hold, Responding may mean more than gold. So don't put it off, don't delay. Someone'

Mindfulness

Mindfulness is not new to me. When I was in 6th form and was suffering huge family upheaval (3 house moves in years, new baby, new step dad, new siblings, contact issues with birth father, mother with severe postnatal depression and step dad going (successfully) back to rehab) the school nurse was asked to help me with my anxiety levels. She talked me through what I later learned (10 years later) was a mindfulness body scan. I was reminded of this whenever I met an anxious mother and would talk them through this meditation. One day, whilst myself working as a school nurse I came across the nurse who taught me this technique. She didn't remember me, and was now working in mental health. A mother praised how I had helped her with relaxation techniques in a meeting we were both attending. I admitted after the meeting that it was this lady who had taught me when I was 17 and anxious. I revisited relaxation during my first pregnancy. Hideous hyperemesis     consumed me. My mood low a

Only you can save you

It was said kindly and it's true. Nobody can make me feel differently, except me. It lays heavy on my heart and has done all afternoon. I can't do it. I have tried. I have tried 'health visitor-ing' myself. I repeat scriptures over and over. I say to myself and my inner child that I am loved, lovable, precious and good enough. I have prayed for strength. I have prayed for peace. I've waited. I've tried my hardest to leave my pain, my shame, my failings at the foot of the cross. I listen to other Christians who repeat over and over I must trust God. That this will be OK, no brilliant, in the end. I say it over and over. Yet my heart is heavy. Not metaphorically either. It feels like a stone crushing my chest, restricting my breathing sometimes. It hurts. I know that none of you can pick me up and make this go away, even if you wanted to. Listening to me, holding me, it helps. It doesn't fix it though. I can't change my attitude towards myself. I do