Skip to main content

Loved

I know I am loved. I often can't see why. I know my children love me. I don't think they could quantify why though, I perhaps wonder if it's just that they have been trained to love me, it's expected that small children love their mothers.

I know my husband loves me. I wonder if it's still the love for a wife, or it's that he is my best friend, or it's a dutiful love. He married me and now he's stuck here.

There are others I know care. I know I have friends who care. Again I wonder if it's a duty thing again. It's been implied that church members love me sacrificially.
They are required to love me. Although some obviously do that more than others.

I have some wonderful professionals looking after me, as well as some who, well, are not so great.  Again, some you can see do care. They care how I have cared and had fondness for some of my clients. They care, but they are paid to.

Today was a bit of an eye opener. I said that I didn't want to leave my children motherless. It was only them that concerned me. I was selfish though and in pain every day and that I could easily slip into thinking that although it would be horrible, they would be fine.  My general view point has been that if even my mother, and then the mother replacement figure I had grown close to, could not love me and have rejected me, how could anyone else come close to feeling I was important?

My counsellor became very serious.

"Since you told me yesterday I have been reflecting on what a reality without you would have looked like. How I would feel. It struck me that having met you only six months ago how devastated by the loss of you I would be. The loss of you would devastate me, it would destroy your husband and children. You are loved. You are important."

Wow! That is quite a realisation. I almost tried to argue. I tried to challenge it. My mind trying hard to convince me that it could not be true. You are unlovable. This lovely lady is saying what you need to hear. You aren't really important.

Then as I left, she held me. Not the friendly, sympathy hug from last week. A tight, long cuddle. A hug I've only shared with the closest of my friends, and not many of them really. Just reliving it now I feel quite tearful.

I'm not huggy. I know touch is important. I'm a hand holder, a shoulder tapper. I'm a baby head kisser and hand stroker. I don't cuddle adults. My in laws are cuddly. This wasn't even like my mother in law hugs, not even the lovely time she called me clever for producing her first grandchild. I like to think she forgot she was basically congratulating me for having sex with her youngest son!

The most recent, even remotely similar, contact I had was in July. 8 months ago. Sitting on my hospital bed with both me and my friend sobbing. Love, care and concern. I didn't need somebody trying to argue with words. Today she was wise enough to know that my brain is too traumatised and too self loathing to hear words which challenge my view of myself.

So, she held me. Held me quietly. Held me how I hold my daughter when she cannot find words or understand my words. The tight hold. The breathing into her that I do for my daughter. True containment. I don't need another mother figure, although it is both Biblical and evolutionary that young women are build up by a range of maternal figures. I just need somebody to show me love in such a way I had no argument and no defence. Exactly the reasons I contain my frightened and overwhelmed child.

I don't think you will ever know how you soothed my heart today. I am wobbly. I think one single rejection or negative experience would still shake me like an earthquake. For the first time in weeks, months even, I saw the tiniest bit of light. The smallest hope that someone, someone who doesn't have to love me. Doesn't have to have me as important in her life, actually cares. That perhaps those who should love me but don't, or can't show it, are unable to because of something in them. Not something making me unlovable.

I'm pretty certain that you have saved my life today. I'm not saying I don't think death would be a welcome release. I don't think I'd even go so far to express regret for what I tried to do. I think you have definitely bought me some time. Bought with love rather than fear of consequences. I had planned to try again this week. Now, I feel I can live a bit longer to see what might happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow a Poem.

Tomorrow is a new day, Full of new promises, When you rush through the day, Tomorrow is always there to say, Don't worry tomorrow it can be done, Tomorrow we can try again. Tomorrow's exciting promise, Every morning when you wake. A bit more time to finish today. More time to play They say Don't leave till tomorrow, Why you can do today. Sometimes tomorrow seems the same. Tomorrow is so different from today. No joy before you settle down, Tomorrow you'll still feel like you'll drown. What if tomorrow never came? What if today was the end. Would you regret the things you put off? Would you ponder if that phonecall, That text, that knock on the door, Shouldn't have been tomorrow's chore? Would you beg for another tomorrow? Would you mourn your yesterday. Today someone needs you. That phone call can't wait. A chat, a cuddle, a hand to hold, Responding may mean more than gold. So don't put it off, don't delay. Someone'

Mindfulness

Mindfulness is not new to me. When I was in 6th form and was suffering huge family upheaval (3 house moves in years, new baby, new step dad, new siblings, contact issues with birth father, mother with severe postnatal depression and step dad going (successfully) back to rehab) the school nurse was asked to help me with my anxiety levels. She talked me through what I later learned (10 years later) was a mindfulness body scan. I was reminded of this whenever I met an anxious mother and would talk them through this meditation. One day, whilst myself working as a school nurse I came across the nurse who taught me this technique. She didn't remember me, and was now working in mental health. A mother praised how I had helped her with relaxation techniques in a meeting we were both attending. I admitted after the meeting that it was this lady who had taught me when I was 17 and anxious. I revisited relaxation during my first pregnancy. Hideous hyperemesis     consumed me. My mood low a

Only you can save you

It was said kindly and it's true. Nobody can make me feel differently, except me. It lays heavy on my heart and has done all afternoon. I can't do it. I have tried. I have tried 'health visitor-ing' myself. I repeat scriptures over and over. I say to myself and my inner child that I am loved, lovable, precious and good enough. I have prayed for strength. I have prayed for peace. I've waited. I've tried my hardest to leave my pain, my shame, my failings at the foot of the cross. I listen to other Christians who repeat over and over I must trust God. That this will be OK, no brilliant, in the end. I say it over and over. Yet my heart is heavy. Not metaphorically either. It feels like a stone crushing my chest, restricting my breathing sometimes. It hurts. I know that none of you can pick me up and make this go away, even if you wanted to. Listening to me, holding me, it helps. It doesn't fix it though. I can't change my attitude towards myself. I do