Skip to main content

Phyllis and Barbara

I love call the midwife. It joins together call my loves babies, motherhood, nursing, faith and history. I love it. I've just caught up on last nights episode. A couple of series ago they dealt with a Ruth and Naomi relationship. An older and younger friend. Drawn together by situation (working together) but a deeper fondness occurring over time until you realise they are inseparable. They are true, if unlikely friends, Last week Phyllis offered to nurse a flu stricken Barbara to give Barbara's sweet husband a break. It wasn't flu. Barbara had meningitis and septicaemia. This week it looked like Barbara may pull through, although there was grief as she realised her lifelong dream of being a midwife, her career and vocation would be ripped away from her due to loosing feeling in her fingers. Yeah, a little close to home. My circulation in my fingers remains in tact but the scars left from the past year are almost certainly going to have an impact on the only career I have considered since my teens and also my wish to work in children's ministry. Tom, Barbara's husband, and Phyllis support one another and Tom recognises the affection and love between the two women. Barbara confides in Phyllis that she knows she will die and how she hates to see her loved ones hurting as they worry and grief for her. Barbara looses consciousness, Tom and Phyllis are called to her bedside. Curate Tom and atheist Phyllis recite Psalm 23 over Barbara and she dies. They are not mother and daughter. Not really, the wisdom of older women is often referred to culturally and biblically. The NCT is kind of a reflection, breastfeeding peer supporters, women's bible study groups. Being supported by a woman whose maturity in years or experience is not a new or unexpected thing. Barbara and Phyllis's relationship was marketed as sweet and unusual but as deep and special and true. So as I recall the gradual growth of my Ruth and Naomi friendship, the point it became noticeable as special. Barbara asked Phyllis to be her bridesmaid, My Phyllis told me I was her best friend. Something I'd never have labeled us as at that time as I didn't expect the role of best friend to be with a woman a generation older. I reflect on the closeness between Tom and Phyllis joined in their love and fear for Barbara and I think to my Tom and Phyllis sitting nearby me in the GP surgery, and on my bedroom floor as I tried to decide what I would be allowed to take in my suitcase to a psychiatric hospital. I remember the guilt I felt as I heard their voices shake as they said goodbye to me. It's now an hour after watching the episode. Barbara's death is sad. The meaning a parallels I drew whist watching it. The grief that the Phyllis and Barbara characters in my life have been parted, not by death, but parted painfully. I'm still crying. I'm not crying for a TV character. The characters in Call the Midwife are now not based on memoirs and real people. No, whilst I've been known to allow a few tears to slip out at weepy films, full on sobbing, snotty, body heaving crying is reserved for real life sadness. For real grief. Perhaps people who fail to understand why I am still so broken, could look at the love Ruth had for Naomi, or Phyllis for Barbara and Barbara for Phyllis, and look again at why I am struggling so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow a Poem.

Tomorrow is a new day, Full of new promises, When you rush through the day, Tomorrow is always there to say, Don't worry tomorrow it can be done, Tomorrow we can try again. Tomorrow's exciting promise, Every morning when you wake. A bit more time to finish today. More time to play They say Don't leave till tomorrow, Why you can do today. Sometimes tomorrow seems the same. Tomorrow is so different from today. No joy before you settle down, Tomorrow you'll still feel like you'll drown. What if tomorrow never came? What if today was the end. Would you regret the things you put off? Would you ponder if that phonecall, That text, that knock on the door, Shouldn't have been tomorrow's chore? Would you beg for another tomorrow? Would you mourn your yesterday. Today someone needs you. That phone call can't wait. A chat, a cuddle, a hand to hold, Responding may mean more than gold. So don't put it off, don't delay. Someone'

Mindfulness

Mindfulness is not new to me. When I was in 6th form and was suffering huge family upheaval (3 house moves in years, new baby, new step dad, new siblings, contact issues with birth father, mother with severe postnatal depression and step dad going (successfully) back to rehab) the school nurse was asked to help me with my anxiety levels. She talked me through what I later learned (10 years later) was a mindfulness body scan. I was reminded of this whenever I met an anxious mother and would talk them through this meditation. One day, whilst myself working as a school nurse I came across the nurse who taught me this technique. She didn't remember me, and was now working in mental health. A mother praised how I had helped her with relaxation techniques in a meeting we were both attending. I admitted after the meeting that it was this lady who had taught me when I was 17 and anxious. I revisited relaxation during my first pregnancy. Hideous hyperemesis     consumed me. My mood low a

Only you can save you

It was said kindly and it's true. Nobody can make me feel differently, except me. It lays heavy on my heart and has done all afternoon. I can't do it. I have tried. I have tried 'health visitor-ing' myself. I repeat scriptures over and over. I say to myself and my inner child that I am loved, lovable, precious and good enough. I have prayed for strength. I have prayed for peace. I've waited. I've tried my hardest to leave my pain, my shame, my failings at the foot of the cross. I listen to other Christians who repeat over and over I must trust God. That this will be OK, no brilliant, in the end. I say it over and over. Yet my heart is heavy. Not metaphorically either. It feels like a stone crushing my chest, restricting my breathing sometimes. It hurts. I know that none of you can pick me up and make this go away, even if you wanted to. Listening to me, holding me, it helps. It doesn't fix it though. I can't change my attitude towards myself. I do